[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>> The main problem, I believe, is that you are using a stale directory
>> handle. closedir (in main) and opendir here.
>
> Ha... and that was the problem... turns out it doesn't need to be
> moved.  Once the typeo is corrected to closedir(DIR); it works, with
> no reopen.

Sorry, I spoke way to soon.   A quick test seemed to indicate the above
was true, but in fact I had alread put a fresh opendir inside the
function while testing your comments.

So I neglected to remove it when my test seemed to indicate that
simply correcting the typo was enough.

So yup you hit it right.  After relocating the closedir and putting a
new opendir inside the function it worked as I had intended....
Thanks again.

Does repeat open and closing of dir represent any kind of time drain?
If so, how would I do the chore with only one opendir, or is it even
possible or desirable?