Yes, this seems like what I want to do.  I would like to open the file using
the external software program, run one command on it using the external
software, and then save it.

The software like I said before is not widely known.  What happens is the
drill program is made through a main CAD software system, then post
processed with PERL scripts, then the file is machine ready.  However, now
we have a new drill machine that needs to run the file through another
software to make it a .mwd file, which would then make it machine ready for
this new drill machine.

I will play around with the pipe operator more and see what happens.
Thanks