On Dec 19, 2007 2:29 AM, Ravindra Ugaji <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Monks,
> I am trying the following code to change the directory
>
> chdir ( '/opt/application') || die ("Can't change directory: $!\n");
> tried this also
> chdir "/opt/application" || die "Can't change directory: $!\n";
snip

In addition to what others have already said, never do the second*.
The || operator has a higher precedence than function calls, so

func "string" || die "oops";

is really saying

func("string" || die("oops"));

Since "string" is truthy, the die will never occur.  If you want to
avoid the use of parenthesis you can use the lower precedence or:

func "string" or die "oops";

* unless, of course, it is what you really mean