Create a Zip archive instead man zip for more information

          -e     Encrypt  the  contents of the zip archive using a
password which
                      is entered on the terminal in response to a
prompt  (this  will
                      not  be  echoed;  if  standard error is not a tty,
zip will exit
                      with an error).  The password prompt is  repeated
to  save  the
                      user from typing errors.

                --
                Rodrick R. Brown
                http://www.rodrickbrown.com

                Thanks Rodrick!

                Yeah, I saw this after I mailed the group. It's probably
the way I will end up going, but I sure would like to have a Perl
solution instead.
                If I use /usr/bin/zip, I'll still have to shell out.
OTOH, I need to wrap this up...

                Thanks for your reply.

                richf