On 1/18/08, bootleg86 bootleg86 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I can't for the life of me figure out what this is trying to do
> $token = $$ ^ unpack "%L*", `ps -A | "./bin/gzip"
>
> Just seems to be it's trying to generate some random number.
> I only know it's trying to XOR the process ID.
>
> What does this part do?
> unpack "%L*", `ps -A | "./bin/gzip"
>
> Thanks

ps -A lists all the processes on a Unix machine.
gzip compesses its input
`ps -A | gzip` will compress the text that ps -A outputs.
I presume the zipped version of your system's processes would look
fairly random, as it got a bunch of random PIDs, times, names, etc

http://perldoc.perl.org/functions/unpack.html
> unpack does the reverse of pack: it takes a string and expands it out into a
> list of values.
"%L*" is a "template" for unpack, whatever that means.
>From pack: "L  An unsigned long value." I guess it expands the gzip'd
string into longs, giving you a list of random longs.