[EMAIL PROTECTED] told me on 02/13/2008 10:34 AM:
> I've been going over some listings and I found code
>
> like the following:
>

> "./directory/file.txt" and
>
> "../directory/file.txt"
>

> but I've never seen the "./" and "../" things at the
>
> beginning of the path. I've tried to google these
>
> but had no luck. I've googled "file specification" and
>
> "directory specification" and got a lot of hits on stuff
>
> but nothing on what those symbols mean. So, I thought
>
> I'd ask here....so if you wouldn't mind explaining what
>
> they are to a newbie I'd appreciate it very much. Thank
>
> you.

"./" refers to the directory you are in.
"../" refers to the parent to the directory you are in, or the one right
above you.

Assume you are in  /home/rcopits and you had several directories, this
that, other.  The full paths would be
/home/rcopits/this
/home/rcopits/that
/home/rcopits/other

If you were in the 'other' directory and you wanted to run a script you
just wrote, you could use "./script.sh" instead of
"/home/rcopits/other/script.sh"

If you wanted to run a script in "this" directory without moving, you
could use "../this/script2.sh" instead of having to type
"/home/rcopits/this/script2.sh"

I hope that makes sense.

Michael