On Feb 19, 11:45 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Blundell)
wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to build Encode-Detect (I am using Solaris Express 1/08,
> Sunfreeware perl 5.8.8 and
> Sunfreeware gcc 3.4.6).
>
> When I run make I get the following error:
>
> In file included from /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i86pc-solaris/CORE/
> perl.h:1195,
>                    from Detector.xs:40:
> /usr/include/sys/mode.h:49: error: use of enum `vtype' without
> previous declaration
> error building lib/Encode/Detect/Detector.o from 'lib/Encode/Detect/
> Detector.c' at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/ExtUtils/CBuilder/
> Base.pm line 109.
> *** Error code 2
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'
>     /usr/bin/make  -- NOT OK
.
.

> If this is not the correct list to ask, please let me know so that I
> can forward my question to the correct place.

You might have noticed (when you submitted your bug report) that the
author has not responded to any of the other bug reports that have
been submitted. And the module has not been updated in over 2 years.
In short, this has all the markings of an abandoned module .... not
good.

On windows (using the MinGW port of the gcc compiler), after re-
locating the files in the include directory (so that the build process
could find them), I *nearly* got the module to build by starting off
with 'perl Makefile.PL CC="g++"'. Only thing that killed the make
process was an undefined reference to '_boot_Encode__Detect' at the
very end. Don't know why that was ... and since the build process uses
Module::Build, it's quite likely I won't even bother trying to work
out what's going on. (I'd be more likely to put my efforts into
writing a "proper", functional Makefile.PL.)

Anyway, assuming you don't get that same error with *every* perl
extension you try to build, it might be worth your while trying to
build with 'perl Makefile.PL CC="g++"'.

If, however, you get that same error every time you try to build a
perl extension, then the problem is probably unrelated to this
particular module - and sorting out that issue would be the correct
place to start.

Cheers,
Rob