Yeah I'm leaving it alone for now.

The socket server receives input episodically and could be invoked thousands
of times per minute.  But typically it 2 or 3 times per hour.

It just seems to be a design flaw to do the repeated open/closing stuff
inside the while loop.

But something that just came to mind is this: since the script never
actually quits, would putting the open/close stuff outside the loop possibly
lead to a memory leak?  Since the close statement would never be executed if
the script is functioning normally.

Also,
What benefit does flushing have?  Would it help prevent memory leaks as per
the above scenario or what?

thanks again.