Francisco Valladolid wrote:

>> I want to start learning about sql and how it interacts w/ perl.
>>
>> My rough idea is to install mysql server and read some books to start
>> playing w/ it along w/ perl.
>> Any advice?
>>
>> For now, I just plan to go through the book 'mysql and perl for the
>> web'....
>>
>> If someone can post some excellent site relates to mysql and perl.. would
>> be appreciated.
>> I will post related questions along the way(also, please let me know if
>> this is not the right mailing list for this and if something exists that I
>> am not aware of at this point)
>
> I  Recommended using PostgreSQL over MySQL, if you need begin, postgresql is
> the best choice.

(Please bottom-post responses to this group, so that extended thread remain
comprehensible. Thank you.)

That is a divisive comment, and a matter of opinion. What it really boils down
to is that PostgreSQL is better-featured but MySQL is more common in the field.
For a beginner who is unlikely to need the more esoteric features that
PostgreSQL has  to offer, MySQL is absolutely fine and is likely to be better
supported.

Rob