Chas. Owens wrote:
On Apr 16, 2008, at 13:33, Monty wrote:
Hope this is the right forum for this.

I recently downloaded Curses-1.23.tar from CPAN for installation on to
my Solaris 8 system.  I installed the module in the same area as all
my other perl modules: /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.5, but I noticed
there's also a directory named /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl.

Under the directory 5.8.5, I untarred the file and it created a
directory named Curse-1.23 and put everything under it.  I moved the
Curses.pm module up to the 5.8.5 directory and renamed the Curses-1.23
directory to Curses, so I can "use Curses" in my scripts.

Is this the correct way to install this module?  My scripts can't seem
to find it.
snip

No, this is not the proper way to install a Perl module. You have four common routes to installing a module:
1. become root and use CPAN
2. become root and install manually
3. use CPAN as a normal user and set PERL5_LIB (or use the lib pragma)
4. install manually as a normal user and set PERL5_LIB (or use the lib pragma)

1. become root and use CPAN:
su -
perl -MCPAN -e "install Curses"
#answer all of the questions, the defaults tend to be correct

2. become root and install manually
su -
gzip -dc module-version.tar.gz | tar xvf
cd module-version
perl Makefile.pl
make
make test
make install
#stop if at any step where you get errors

3. use CPAN as a normal user and set PERL5_LIB (or use the lib pragma)
#like 1., but you should set PREFIX=/some/directory/you/countrol
perl -MCPAN -e "install Curses"
echo "export PERL5_LIB=/some/directory/you/countrol" >> .profile

4. install manually as a normal user and set PERL5_LIB (or use the lib pragma)
gzip -dc module-version.tar.gz | tar xvf
cd module-version
perl Makefile.pl PREFIX=/some/directory/you/countrol
make
make test
make install
#stop if at any step where you get errors
echo "export PERL5_LIB=/some/directory/you/countrol" >> .profile

I am planning to use 3 or 4.. as I am not root user on this machine.
Problem is, this is solaris and there is only gcc available. What is the method to say use gcc ? Also, for 3), am I suppose to export PERL5_LIB before doing the perl -MCPAN........ ?