On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 16:18,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
snip
> A signature line on an email said in effect that the best skill a
> programmer
> can have is to be able to read. I differ. I think that the best skill a
> programmer
> can have is the ability to LISTEN. More bad programs and bad projects
> won't
> get done if you have that skill/ability.
snip

That would be my sig, and I stick to it.  Most of the time (in my
experience) a programmer won't get verbal instructions.  The ability
to read* (code, documentation, specs, etc) is a programmer's most
important skill.  Writing is the second most important skill.  Being
able to write clear, unambiguous prose is vital to the specification
and documentation process, and, of course, a programmer who can't code
is a programmer (although, there is a place for the analyst).

* and comprehend

--
Chas. Owens
wonkden.net