Ravi Malghan wrote:

> Hi: I am trying to extract some stuff from a string and not getting the
> expected results. I have looked through
> http://www.perl.com/doc/manual/html/pod/perlre.html and can't seem to figure
> this one out.
>
> I have a string which is a sequence of words and each item is comma seperated
> field1, lengthof value1, value1,field2, length of value2,
> value2,field3,length of value3, value3 and so on
>
> After each field name I have the length of the value
>
> I want to split this string into an array using comma seperator, but the
> problem is some values have one or more commas within them.
>
> so for example my string might look like this
>
> $origString = "EMPLID,4,9066,USERID,7,W3LWEB1,TEXT,54,This is a test note,
> with some commas, and more commas,ADDR,3515421 Test Lane, Rockville, MD,
> USA,ESCALATION-LVL,1,0"
>
> My current code goes character by character and constructs what I want. But
> is very slow when this string gets large.

The program below will do what you describe.

HTH,

Rob

use strict;
use warnings;

my $origString = "EMPLID,4,9066,USERID,7,W3LWEB1,TEXT,54,This is a test note,
with some commas, and more commas,ADDR,3515421 Test Lane, Rockville, MD,
USA,ESCALATION-LVL,1,0";

while() {

  $origString =~ /\G([^,]+),/g or last;
  my $field = $1;

  $origString =~ /\G(\d+),/g or last;
  my $size = $1;

  $origString =~ /\G(.{$size}),?/g or last;
  my $value = $1;

  printf "%s(%d) - %s\n", $field, $size, $value;
}

**OUTPUT**