What if before running this perl code, I modify the 'USER' environment
variable ?

I have not tried like that but I feel it can be done because the environment
variables are not restricted.

Assuming that works, then any user can just reset the environment variable
to any one among the
allowed ones and the script will work.

I feel the better way is to use system command and call "whoami" or "id"
command.

Regards,
Amit Saxena