Thank you very much. Really helped.
Regards
Irfan.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mr. Shawn H. Corey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 7:35 PM
To: Irfan J Sayed (isayed)
Cc: beginners@perl.org
Subject: Re: doubt

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 19:03 +0530, Irfan J Sayed (isayed) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can you please tell me what is the value of $file. When i execute this

> script . it says "Can't open : No such file or directory"
>
> Please suggect.
>
> Regards
>
> Irf.
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> # file: count_lines.pl
>
> # Figure 1.4: Count the lines of a file
>
> use strict;
>
> use IO::File;
>
> my $file = shift;

This is a shortcut for:

  my $file = shift @ARGV;

$file is assign the first command-line argument.  When you run the
script try placing the name of a file after it:

  perl count_lines.pl some_file.txt

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
  Shawn

"Where there's duct tape, there's hope."

"Perl is the duct tape of the Internet."
        Hassan Schroeder, Sun's first webmaster