Thanks for the input, having tested Shawns solution, I will probably find at a later date that it is vital I include the full pathname in future output, so will subject the file to a second pass to get rid of the full pathname whilst I am at my present testing point. However, I would like to get just the folder name if that is a simple thing to amend.
regards
Brian

Louis-Philippe wrote:
what Shawn just wrote could be ok for you Brian, but only if you change working directory while processing files, because his script uses cwd() to get directory (which reads 'current working directory')

the other option would be to say:

use File::Basename;
use File::Spec;

my @alldirs = File::Spec->splitdir( File::Spec->rel2abs( dirname($file) ) );
my $dir = $alldirs[-1];

2008/9/3 Mr. Shawn H. Corey <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>

    On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 16:47 +0100, brian54321uk wrote:
     > Just tested this out and unfortunately instead of dirname replacing
     > abc123, I get a .

    That's because the dirname is a '.'

    Try:

    use Cwd;
    if( (my $dir = dirname( $file )) eq '.' ){
     $dir = cwd();

    Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
     Shawn

    "Where there's duct tape, there's hope."
           Cross Time Cafe

    "Perl is the duct tape of the Internet."
           Hassan Schroeder, Sun's first webmaster

    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>