On Aug 22, 4:48 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Dixon) wrote:
> ssinn wrote:
>
> > I am currently writing a script that will connect to a URL,
> > authenticate itself and GET information to the site.
> > I am using this code out of the Perl &LWPbook but it is failing.
>
> > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
>
> > use strict;
> > use warnings;
> > useLWP;
> > use URI;
>
> > # This authenticates
> > my $browser =LWP::UserAgent->new;
> > $browser->credentials(
> >         'http://10.1.0.8:80',
> >         'test'=>'password'
> >         );
>
> > my $url = 'http://10.1.0.8';
> > my $response = $browser->get($url);
> >         die "Error: ", $response->header('WWW-Authenticate') ||
> >         'Error accessing',
> >         #  ('WWW-Authenticate' is the realm-name)
> >         "\n ", $response->status_line, "\n at $url\n Aborting"
> >         unless $response->is_success;
>
> > The error message returned is
>
> > Error: Basic realm="index"
> >  401 Authorization Required
> >  athttp://10.1.0.8
> >  Aborting at ./new_push_mac.pl line 18.
>
> > What am I doing wrong?
>
> I'm pretty sure the netloc parameter of your call to credentials has the wrong
> format: it should just be a host and a port number, and I've never seen it
> include the scheme (http) as well. Try like this
>
>   $browser->credentials(
>     'test', 'password'
>   );
>
> HTH,
>
> Rob

That worked. Thank you.
When trying to run this without a username I get the error:

Use of uninitialized value in exists at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/
LWP/UserAgent.pm line 605.
Error: Basic
 401 Unauthorized.
 at http://10.1.0.171/index
 Aborting at ./script.pl line 18.

Does LWP require a username/password combination? Or is something else
going on?