birdinforest wrote:
I am a student and enrolled Unix programing this semester.
There are two questions relating to perl  I can not work out in the
last exam ( Actually I have write out my code, however the exam system
marked it as "wrong"). Please help me to point out the fault. Thanks.

QUESTION 1
Write a perl script called perl_has_number.pl which takes one
argument
which is any string. The script should output "true" if the string
contains any digits, and "false" otherwise.

MY CODE:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
if ($ARGV[0]=~ /\d+/)
{
  print "true\n";
}
else
{
  print "false\n";
}

QUESTION 2
Write a perl script called perl_digits.pl which takes any number of
arguments. The script should return the number found by deleting all
non-digits.

Example:

"./perl_digits.pl and1 pan2d 30rr and 4"

will return 12304

MY CODE:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
sub outcom
{
  $outcome="";
    foreach $a (@ARGV)
      {
        if ($a=~/\d+/)
        {
          $outcome=$outcome.$&;
    return $outcome;
}

$digital=outcom(@ARGV);
print $digital . "\n";

In my view, both code could give out right results. Could you help me
to find the fault?

You should find out from your examiners why they are "wrong". Perhaps they want you to use tr/// instead of m//:

#!/usr/bin/perl -l
print $ARGV[0] =~ tr/0-9// ? "true" : "false";

#!/usr/bin/perl -l
($_ = "@ARGV") =~ tr/0-9//cd;
print;

John
in short order.                            -- Larry Wall