On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 14:33, Mr. Shawn H. Corey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-11-16 at 13:23 -0500, Chas. Owens wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 09:11, a b <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > Hi ,
>> > Can any body tells me what do we mean by below code
>> > <snip>
>> > $ROUTE::COMM{NEWROUTE}{OS()}
>> > </snip>
>> >
>> > Thanks in Advance
>> > a b .
>> >

>> No, there is not enough context for me to know why this code is being
>> used and off hand it looks like useless code to me (it is asking for a
>> value and not doing anything with it), but I can tell you a few things
>> that may be true about it:
>>
>> There is a subroutine named OS defined somewhere.
>> There is a module named ROUTE.
>> That module has a hash named COMM.
>> That hash (possibly) has a key named NEWROUTE whose value is expected
>> to be a hashref.
>
> There is a package named ROUTE.  Whether it's a module or an object is
> yet to be determined.  If it's an object then %ROUTE::COMM is a class
> variable.
snip

Well, if we are going to be picky about language it is a class not an
object (objects are created at runtime from classes).  Also, there is
no difference between a package and a class in Perl.  To be a module a
package must be in a separate file and must end with a true value, so
it is true that ROUTE is not necessarily at module; it could be a
package inside the same file (which is one of the reasons I said "may
be true").  Of course, given the existence of source filters, it could
do anything.

--
Chas. Owens
wonkden.net