Fúlvio Figueirôa wrote:
> Hi Octavian,
> I solved my problem using sendmail with the code below:
>
> open (MAIL, "|/usr/sbin/sendmail -t ");
> print MAIL "From: someaddr...@somedomain\n";
> print MAIL "To: someaddre...@somedomain\n";
> print MAIL "Content-Type: text/plain\n";
> print MAIL "Subject: Very simple email test\n\n";
> print MAIL "Body of the message";
> close (MAIL);

I've had issues with doing things this way in the past. From my
experience with the above code, if there is a fault, the message will
not be sent, nor will it be queued to be sent later. Depending on the
situation, not having the program follow proper SMTP protocol could be a
problem if a message is not delivered, and there is no trace of it in
any queue.

Perhaps someone here can verify that there is a workaround, but I would
highly recommend at least handing off the message so that a proper MTA
can take care of any network-type issues for you, even if the MTA is on
the localhost.

My past experience was with receipts... clients would, from time to
time, not receive receipts from a Perl-based receipt mailer.

I guess, if anything, instead of a file handle directly to MAIL (per
above), one could write to file, then mail it, but there are certainly
better ways to interact directly to a proper MTA.

Steve