Adam Jimerson wrote:

Yea I read that dbmopen was superseded by the "tie" function but I couldn't figure out the permissions for it:

tie(%HIST, 'NDBM_File', '/usr/lib/news/history', 1, 0);

perldoc DB_File

[ snip ]

    Default Parameters

    It is possible to omit some or all of the final 4 parameters in the
    call to "tie" and let them take default values. As DB_HASH is the
    most common file format used, the call:

        tie %A, "DB_File", "filename" ;

    is equivalent to:

        tie %A, "DB_File", "filename", O_CREAT|O_RDWR, 0666, $DB_HASH ;

Use the Fcntl module for the O_CREAT and O_RDWR constants.

Which is what I though the 1,0 was there for. A quick question though, any certain reason why you used DB_File in your code over any of the other databases?

No.  Use any one that suits your needs.

John
--
Those people who think they know everything are a great
annoyance to those of us who do.        -- Isaac Asimov