Thanks zentara, I think use blib is to  test modules before installing... In
my case even "make test" was failing with the can't load threads.so error
even though threads.so was existing at the path indicated in the error.

Finally I could resolve the error by making following changes to the
Makefile. The problem was, my OS is 64bit, perl installed at default system
path is 32 bit but threads module (threads.so) I was compiling and
installing locally was being linked to 64bit libraries. So I had to compile
and link it in a 32bit mode.

Added -m32 option on gcc for both compiler and linker and added -L/lib where
my 32bit libraries (e.g. libpthreds.so) are present. Changed -march=opteron.

Here is Makfile diff for threads-1.71 module

[threads-1.71]$ diff Makefile Makefile.old
39c39
< LDDLFLAGS = -m32 -shared -L/lib -L/usr/local/lib
---
> LDDLFLAGS = -shared -L/usr/local/lib
267c267
< OPTIMIZE = -m32 -O2 -march=opteron -fprefetch-loop-arrays -funroll-loops
-pipe
---
> OPTIMIZE = -O2 -march=pentium3 -fprefetch-loop-arrays -funroll-loops -pipe

Thanks --Suhas

> use blib

--Regards Suhas
[Search HADOOP/PIG Information]