On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 14:56, Karyn Stump <ka...@calarts.edu> wrote:
> I need to split a string on " or '.
>
> I have tried following lines in my script:
>
> my @fields = split(/["']/,$_);
snip
> Is it possible the missed " is a unicode char or something like that ?
snip

split /["']/ should work.  It is possible that your data only contains
something that looks like ".  Try running this on the file:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;

while (<>) {
        for my $char (grep { $_ > 127 } map ord, split //) {
                printf "%d is %c\n", $char, $char;

It will print out any characters that are not in the ASCII set.  If
one of them turns out to look like " then that is your culprit.

--
Chas. Owens
wonkden.net