Hi,
I'm developing a Bengali Linux Distribution Based on
Debian wth the Anaconda(Default Language Bengali )
installer. I was faced with this same problem in
Anaconda installer. I solved that problem by adding
some lines in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf of
fontconfig***.deb.

I added the following lines in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf
of fontconfig****.deb
<!--
  Sans-serif faces
 -->
        <alias>
                <family>*******</family>
                <family>SolaimanLipi</family>
        </alias>

         ***************

        <match target="font">
                <test
                <edit
        </match>

        **************

        <alias>
                <family>sans-serif</family>
                <prefer>
                        <family>*******</family>
                        <family>SolaimanLipi</family>
                </prefer>
        </alias>

        ************

You can try this in Debian Installer. I think then
bengali will be Ok.

Khoda hafez,
Suzan

http://www.bengalinux.org/screenshots/debian/index.php

> > Is it Font problem? or Rendering problem?
>
> Definitely font. I can't be sure, but I think the
> font being used is
> unifont (which doesn't have any opentype tables for
> bengali). In the
> past, I have seen this being used by GTK even when a
> proper bengali
> font is available, to the extent that all the
> translated menu entries
> in gnome applications used it. I assume the priority
> can be somehow
> controlled by fontconfig, but I couldn't figure out
> how. You should
> ask on the appropriate debian list.
>
> Deepayan
> N¬HY޵隊X¬²š'²ŠÞu¼’¦[§‰ÜŒ¨º
> Þ¦Øk¢è!–ˆŠW¬~Šé®†åzk¶ŠC£

[EMAIL PROTECTED],º·âža{›
å,àHòÔ4¨m¶ŸÿiÛ(±ÙÜ¢oÚv'ï­ûjYhr'ׯ:æŠrXœ§©bžì\¢·¦j)bž
b²Ð^ž¥Š{±rŠÞ–+-²Ê.­ÇŸ¢¸ëa¶Úlÿùb²Û,¢êÜyú+éÞ·ùb²Û?–+-Šwèý·§©bžì\¢·