Hi All,
In the Tibetan Mastiff world, we call it the "paw that defleshes". It's a very
effective technique, especially when you're wearing shorts. You generally give them
what they want (usually food) rather than have your flesh removed. My TM girl, Taku,
is very good at it but my berner has yet to figure it out. He'd rather just use his
head and bump until he gets what he wants. The best is when you scratch in the right
spot and that back leg just gets going and going and going.

Liz Murray with fleshless legs in Calgary Alberta