--- Begin Message ---
Hi Radha...my Titan, now 2, is EXACTLY the same way and it can be frustrating...I'm
told there is a stranger anxiety period for pups (just like for human babies) starting
about Smokey's age, too, although we didn't get Titan till he was 9 mos. and he was
shy from the start. ONLY in our house (where you'd think he'd be most secure). Happy
to greet people in the dog park and anywhere else, but wants to be left alone in the
house. There may be a little territorialism mixed in with this, as it seems to begin
in adolescence for most dogs, so some of the barking is probably protectiveness of
turf and their people, I think. The only thing I can suggest that has worked for us is
to have guests absolutely ignore Smokey when they come in. Titan's worst shyness
manifests itself when people approach him in the house, walking toward him, trying to
pet him, talking to him, etc. If they simply sit down and ignore him he rather quickly
comes looking for attention. My 4.5 month old girl Berner so far loves everybody and
greets everyone who comes in; I'm curious to see if she encounters the shy stage soon
too.
Even though we have tried all kinds of treats and other strategies (it's good I found
to do obedience like sits and downs when the people are coming in so the dog is
distracted by that), Titan is still at his happiest when it's just our family
(although, like your dog, he loves his "grandfather")! When my kids have guests he is
upstairs away from the action...just doesn't like company all that much! We love him,
but he is definitely a family dog when in the house...wants his nuclear family around
him but that's about it!
Good luck with your pup.
Anne
--- End Message ---