After consulting with some berner-l owners that purchased pups from a
specific European breeder named Karla I am now waiting anxiously for our
new puppy's arrival. I am extremely impressed with the depth of her
understanding of the breed and the breed's inherent health problems.
Most impressive is her communication skills with potential owners and
the method she raises her pups.
The method of her breeding and her ability to interact with potential
buyers of this wonderful breed should be formulated in writing for every
breeder in this state to follow, perhaps the country.   While I am sure
American breeders feel they have a superior sense of a berner's health
issues than their European counterparts I am sure  a sharing of
information between the breeders beyond the 'big pond' would extend the
life of all berners, in the long run.
I believe berner advocates in America and Europe can share information
and dogs for healthy breeding versus the american breeder's  view that
European breeders close their eyes to healthy breeding practices.
I have experienced, witnessed and heard the biases from the berner
breeders in person and in this list.  If the Illinois breeding community
in any way represents the berner breeding community at large I feel
there is a gaping hole being driven by breeders who talk a good game.
Unfortunately the Eastern Europe profiteers have been very successful
setting up shop in  our communities to easily exploit berner pups with
simple newspaper ads.  Take it from someone who was nearly lured in by
the face of a pretty little berner girl pup. If it can happen to me it
can happen to anyone who is impressed with the breed.
My recommendation: breeders wake up and smell reality. Berner survival
means cooperating, learning, sharing information within the global
community.