Please take us off of your B.M.D. mailing list as we will be
traveling over seas and only checking our e-mails every couple
of weeks and you send so much my mailbox fills up fast and then
nobody can send us anything until we cear it. Catch you back in
spring when we'll be picking up our new pup. Thanx Darrell
McGuire

([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

>                           BERNER-L Digest 4073
>
> Topics covered in this issue include:
>
>   1) Re: blue eyed pup (long)
>       by "Sara Steele" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>   2) Blue Eyes and Registries
>       by "Sara Steele" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>   3) Subject: Re: leash training
>       by "A. Sufi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>   4) Re: Dog show schedules
>       by "Pat Long" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>   5) berner for a hospital visit in Virginia
>       by Hugh Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>   6) Now I lay me down to sleep?
>       by "Maria Crifasi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>   7) Re: berner for a hospital visit in Virginia
>       by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>   8) Re: Dog show schedules
>       by "Jeff & Mary Chapdelaine - SnoBear berners"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>   9) Re: Blue Eyes and Registries
>       by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  10) Re: Subject: Re: leash training
>       by "Jeff & Mary Chapdelaine - SnoBear berners"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  11) Transportation Help Needed
>       by "Kelly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  12) Re: Leash training.
>       by "jean cheesman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  13) leash laws and adequate Berner exercise
>       by "Pat Long & Paul Dangel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  14) Cabana Crates
>       by RM Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  15) Off topic - Invasion of Earth Stars!
>       by "jean cheesman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  16) Re: Subject: Re: leash training
>       by "A. Sufi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  17) RE: Leash training
>       by catherine green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  18) Re: blue eyed pup
>       by "Pamela" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  19) Re: blue eyed pup and change
>       by "Mary-Ann Bowman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  20) Update on Porter
>       by Jennifer Martyn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  21) Re: Update on Porter
>       by "Tracey Conner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  22) Leash Training
>       by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  23) Re: blue eyed pup and change
>       by "Jeff & Mary Chapdelaine - SnoBear berners"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  24) Re: blue eyed pup and change
>       by "Jeff & Mary Chapdelaine - SnoBear berners"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> From: "Sara Steele" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <berner-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: blue eyed pup (long)
> Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 14:30:52 -0400
>
> Hi,
> You can (and, in fact, must) register your dog with all the
legitimate
> registries----AKC, CKC, UKC, SKC, ASCA, USDAA, NADAC and show
your dog in
> all the performance (obedience, tracking, carting, agility)
activities you
> want to. You do not need to be in any registry to do Pet
Therapy. For
> therapy work, you should enlist in one of the therapy
organizations, like
> TDI (Therapy Dogs International), so that you are protected
by insurance
> when you go to a hospital, school, or nursing home. To get
hooked up with
> TDI, you need to take the CGC/TDI test.
> The Registries I listed are:
> AKC   American Kennel Club
> CKC  Canadian Kennel Club
> UKC United Kennel Club
> SKC States Kennel Club
> ASCA Australian Shepherd Club of America (non-Aussies can
register for
> Performance activities at ASCA)
> USDAA United States Dog Agility Association
> NADAC North American Dog Agility Council
> These are all legitimate registries and, once registered, you
can earn lots
> of titles!
> Get those blue eyes out there and go for it!
> sara steele

could I still
> compete
> > >  in carting and obedience?
> >
> > Absolutely! ...and tracking and agility and therapy work...
> >
> > >  2.  Is this pup not able to be registered?
> >
> > Provided the pup's parents are registered with a recognized
registry and
> the
> > breeder completes the registration process, a blue-eyed pup
certainly CAN
> be
> > registered.  Since you're in Canada, I assume you'd want to
register with
> the
> > CKC (Canadian Kennel Club).
> >
> > ***WARNING!!!***
> > There is a registry used by puppy millers and brokers that
also calls
> itself
> > (not conincidentally) the CKC (to stand for Continental
Kennel Club).
> > Another registry used by commercial producers & brokers is
APRI.  When you
> > talk with a breeder about *registration*  in North
America...make sure
> you're
> > talking about either the *Canadian Kennel Club* or the
*American Kennel
> > Club*...period.
> >
> > >  3. What are the chances if bred of having brown eyed
pups??

> > Blue eyes are a hereditary trait, therefore, breeding a dog
with a blue
> eye
> > increases the liklihood of producing puppies with blue
eyes.  The BMD
> > standards (a description of the the ideal BMD that
responsible breeders
> > strive for) around the world specify that the Bernese
should have dark
> brown
> > eyes.
> >
> > Breeding responsibly entails protecting the breed for
future generations
> > enjoy.  Although each dog deviates from the standard in
some respect, the
> > only way to preserve the breed is to breed ONLY those dogs
which come
> closest
> > to the 'ideal' detailed in the standard.  If breeders
disregarded the
> > standard and didn't plan breedings with the goal of getting
closer to that
> > ideal with each generation, it wouldn't be long before the
Bernese no
> longer
> > looked or acted like the breed you fell in love with to
begin with.

> > So, you can see...breeding a dog with a blue eye would be
doing a serious
> > disservice to the breed.  The only reason for someone to do
*  MESSAGE EXCEEDED PERMITTED LENGTH  *
*          message truncated          *