I'm willing to take the chance of being flamed here but I have been using a prong
collar with Gus since he was about 8 months old. I have MS and sometimes I have a
power shortage in my arms and legs.  Since Gus has always been big, powerful and
exuberant, I had trouble controlling him.  He would yank and nearly pull me over. That
led to fewer walks and less exercise for us both.  The prong collar worked right from
the start.  I never use it for a correction, it is just there if I need it (which I
almost never do anymore) I can be the benevolent alpha dog because he is the one who
causes himself discomfort when he pulls against the collar. After 4 months, walking is
a complete pleasure  because he walks nicely at my side on a totally loose lead.  He
does not leave my side unless I release him but if I need to control him, the prong
collar gives me that ability.  We walk 3 miles a day and today he behaved flawlessly
when coming upon deer, wild turkeys and a carriage drawn by 2 horses.  For us, the
prong collar is a "just in case" thing that has allowed us a great deal of freedom.
Betsy Rich