Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 12:14:31 +0100
Subject: Cooper Comes Home!
From: "Lindsay Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Bernese Mountain Dog List"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Plain Text Attachment [ Save to my Yahoo! Briefcase  |
 Download File ]

Hi everyone!
Before I tell you all the details of the new addition
to the family, I
must
say that I have been religiously reading the list now
(every day) for
at
least a month and a half!  This, of course, has given
me great insight
the world of the BMD and it really is great to hear
experiences from
such
wonderful, caring owners that you all are!  I can tell
you that I am
sure
that I will have many, many questions to ask and in
addition to asking
our
breeders for answers, just know in advance, that I
will consult all of
you,
too! :)  Your help and advice will be greatly
appreciated throughout
"Cooper's" life!
So, with that said...I have wonderful news!  My 10
week old "bouncing
baby
berner" came home this Sunday!
My husband and I moved to Switzerland at the end of
June from Florida
(BIG
change!!) and we have always loved the BMD's!  We
decided before we
moved to
Switzerland permanently, that because we were finally
in the heart of
'BMD
land', now was a perfect opportunity to have a new
addition to our
little
family!
We did SO much research before selecting the perfect
breeders!  Thanks
the help of our German and English speaking friend and
several trips
around
Switzerland, we found the most wonderful Swiss-German
breeders just
outside
of Bern!  (Luckily their daughter acted as a
translator, too!) They are
the
best I've ever seen...so loving to their dogs, so
professional and so
very
responsible.   Their dogs were extremely well behaved,
loyal and HAPPY,
HAPPY, HAPPY!!!
Once the puppies were born, hubby and I went to visit
each weekend and
really got to know their personalities.  It was
absolutely amazing at
how we
just kind of "picked" each other!  His registered name
is in
German...I'm
really not sure how to say it or even write it, but
they nicknamed him
"Yonko"   (You can see why we liked Cooper better,
right?)  His mother
and
father and well, heck, his whole family, are very-well
decorated and
very
sweet Berners but they all have tough names!  Anyway,
Cooper would come
running out first ahead of his siblings each time we
came to see him
and
greeted us with several kisses and tail wags that
seemed to almost
knock him
off balance!  We really bonded with him as well as his
whole family!
On Sunday when we took him home, he was so good.  I
sat in the back
with him
just to comfort him and he slept the whole way.
Little Cooper seems to miss the company of this
brothers and sisters as
well
as his mom and grand mom right now.   He cries a
little at night-time
and
also when he "thinks" he's alone.  My husband (good
man that he is)
took the
day off from work yesterday to help with his new
"son"!   We are really
working hard at trying to establish a daily routine
for Cooper.  He is
our
first Berner and I truly can say he is unbelievably
smart already!
This is day 2 and he just walked right into the crate
to take a nap.
He
seemed a little unsure of the crate the first
day...I'm sure it was all
the
confusion of new surroundings and smells.  Probably
some separation
anxiety
as well.
Speaking of separation anxiety, I know and understand
that it is very,
very
early and that he is still getting used to his new
home, but will this
eventually subside?  I will be staying home with him
everyday which I
know
is fantastic for him.  I guess my biggest fear is that
he will get so
used
to me being here that when I go to the store or to
take hubby to the
airport, he will hate being alone.  What is the best
method of training
him
to be by himself for these short trips without crying.
 (The Swiss are
VERY
aware of all their neighbors and value their
"quiet-time!")
We are going outside to "do business" about every 2 to
3 hours so
far--even
at night we take turns.  I have to get used to the
"non-Florida"
weather
here!  Last night I groggily got out of bed and when I
opened the door,
was
blasted with 40 degree "wow-that-will-wake-you-up"
weather!  Cooper,
however, LOVED it!
We go on short (very short...10 minutes) walks and
play ball and chase
in
the yard until he gets tired which is about another
10-15 minutes.
Then we
go inside and he sleeps for about an hour.  Then we do
it all over
again!  I
can't get over how cute he is.  He's crashed belly-up
in his crate
(with the
door open) as we speak...ears flopped out and paws up
to chin,
twitching
from time to time...probably dreaming about the next
*  MESSAGE EXCEEDED PERMITTED LENGTH  *
*          message truncated          *