----- Original Message -----
From: "Mary-Ann Bowman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> What I am wondering is it anyone knows of any evidence that reports on the
> impact of early s/n on future orthopedic clearances. Much of the early s/n
> work has been done by Humane Associations, and the pets that have had
early
> s/n by Humane Associations are generally not checked for hip and elbow
> clearances. Studies do indicate that early s/n results in increased long
> bone length, and so it makes me wonder whether these subtle changes in
bone
> growth might have implications of hip and elbow joint formation. Does
anyone
> have any information about this issue?

Well, this is a cross species comparison, so take it for what it is. Horses
mature between 5-6 yrs of age. Almost all male horses are desexed before
they are a year old, which pretty roughly translates to early neutering
given the growth time compared to dogs; some are done at less than 3 days,
and so on. However, point being that they are desexed and most are desexed
young. The vast majority of male horses are desexed because stallions are no
picnic to house and handle, even when polite and well trained.

There is no difference that I know of between soundness rates in mares,
stallions, and geldings; as a matter of fact, desexed male horses are the
gender of choice for a majority of competitive riders (as a dyed in the wool
mare person, I think the girls get a bum rap!). So, if you want to look at
it in horses, you'll see there is no impact on their ability to be a life
long athlete.

Eileen Morgan
The Mare's Nest
http://www.enter.net/~edlehman