Hi Jackie,

> I have a 12 weeks old male bernese.  He has started to
> hump peoples legs ?  Why would he being doing this ?
> He seems to be more attracted to males rather than
> females when he does this ?  I know its not a sexual
> thing I am thinking its more of a dominance thing.

Agree this is more a dominance thing. Suggest you keep a handful of treats
handy, especially if you are at work with him, distract before he can get
into that behaviour, make him do "Sit", "Wait", "Down.! A quick training
session! Play with favourite toy, just give him something else to think
about, make sure you are in control. If at home, get the leash out and take
him quick run round the block!

Playful pup behaviour at the moment but if you let him get away with it now
could be real problem when he gets bigger!

Have had three male dogs now, one GSD and two Bernese, all full males, and
never had problems later on.

Good luck, be firm but distract and show you are in charge!

Hmmm! There's also the dominance positions you can assume to really let them
know you are in charge! Tee, Hee! Mail me privately for the diagrams, can be
fun! Well, I first saw this from my uncle with the guard dogs he trained and
later have found it in various animal training books. You stand astride over
the dog, pick it up front end, holding under the chest, go Humpy-Hump,
whisper in ear "I am in charge!" Repeat until both you and the dog enjoy it!
Best to start this from a young age!

(OK, Berner Listers, maybe I'll put a couple of pics up on my website to
demonstrate!!!!)

Hmmm! Have never seen this advised for training tiny dogs, pekes, jack
russellss whatever but you'd look a bit silly wouldn't you! Shame, these are
the dogs who normally come full grown and hump your legs, ruin your
stockings and owners find it highly amusing! Now if they had Big Dogs they
would take it more seriously!

Much love, Jean, Sunny, Simmy, Barney and the Gang
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
http://www.angelfire.com/anime3/longlease/index.htm