Dear Mary-Ann and all,

I agree that hip & elbow dysplasia are genetically caused.
I also feel that nutrition and environment cause problems too.
Over nutrition can cause malformation of femur heads, sockets, etc.
Slamming elbows down on hard surfaces can indeed cause FCP.
Overweight can cause wearing on joints.

I think that I've used enough space on the subject and nothing educational
will come from further discussion on this subject.

You stated, "Bad things happen to all of us who breed, and the challenge is
not to create
inventive excuses, but to deal with the issues head on, eyes open, and with
both honesty and integrity".

I agree.

I also learn from my experience and in 18 years of being a breeder and
following puppies I've seen some bone injuries and conditions caused by
environmental and nutritional factors that could have been prevented with
proper control in these areas.

I've also seen problems crop up with a perfectly controled, fed dog.

Here is a great site with much information on hip & elbow problems,
nutrition etc. for anyone wanting to decide for themselves after reading
many views.

It is important to always continue learning. : )

http://www.workingdogs.com/doc0090.htm

Best wishes,

Mary

Jeff & Mary Chapdelaine