Kathy,
Mast cell is a type of cancer that often responds well to treatment
(surgery/radiation), but I do know some dogs who have died from it,
especially the more advanced grades 2 and 3.  "Grade" refers to how
aggressive the type of cancer cells are, as diagnosed by their appearance
under a microscope by a pathologist. "Stage" refers how far it has
spread....if the cancer is still only in one location, like in your Gunner,
then it is a Stage 1. This is the earliest and most curable. If it is already
spread thruout multiple organs, it is a much more ominous Stage 4.

My wonderful Java, the most perfect dog in the universe, had a grade 2 mast
cell tumor diagnosed and operated on just before his 5th birthday. You may
remember that large tricolored Poodle who won the Open B obedience class at
the WI specialty?? :-)  That was 2 1/2 years ago and today he is totally
fine, just loving his retirement out here on the farm, mostly stays busy
getting my bed covered w/ mud!  :-)

The pathology on the initial aspiration of his mass w/ my regular vet said it
was only a grade 1 mast cell tumor. But the final report said grade 2 when it
was removed by the surgeon who works w/ the oncologist. My vet recommended
the oncologist consult, which I am very glad I did. The oncologist was
recommending radiation treatment be planned for after the surgery, even when
we thought it was only a grade 1 (that would have taken Java's chances of a
cure from 80-85% up to 95%) but then definitely recommended it when we
learned it was actually a grade 2 (so then radiation took his chances of cure
from 40% to 85%.)

It is important that the surgeon gets 3-5 cm of normal apearing tissue on all
sides of the actual tumor, "clean margins," b/c of the way mast cell invades.
That is a lot of tissue, and not always possible depending on the tumor
location. Java's tumor was about 2 1/2 cm in size, smooth and soft and mobile
and non tender, looked exactly  like a lipoma or fatty tumor....it was on his
upper inner front leg, in his "armpit" (do dogs have armpits??)

Java tolerated the radiation treatments just fine, they bothered me a lot
more than it bothered him I think. He developed a raw apearing sunburn-like
area on that part of his leg but no other side effects. And when his hair
grew back in there it was and is still light grey.

I think I must have read just about everything ever published on mast cell
tumors in dogs at the time (knowledge is power!!) and was very pleased w/
both the oncologist and surgeon, as well as my regular vet.

Best of luck to you, please let me know if there is anything I can do.

Vilma

Vilma Briggs (Kistner)
Mt. Gilead, OH
U-UD Mocha Java Slurp, UDX, HIC, TT
Ch. Brighteye Expresso Bean, UD, NDD, TT
U-CDX Our Little Buddy, UD, NA, TT
and rescue Berners: Charm (Thirdtym's A Charm CGC) and Willow