Hi Marilynn
When the BARC littermate discussion was going on in June, I asked if there
was any info on my BARC Guy Rocky.  I was told that it looked like Star and
Rocky were 1/2 brother and sister and that Jasper, Star and Rocky had the
same father.  I don't know if this is right as I have no information on
Rocky other than he was born sometime in June and was included in the Nov.
10 rescue.
As you are questioning what to do about hip and elbow x-rays, I thought I
would pass this "Rocky" diagnosis on to you.  In May, I took him to Dr.
Lenehan, an orthapedic vet in San Diego who is highly recommended.  (I had
him examine my other dog Indy at 18 months old.)  Here is his diagnosis:
"Rocky was x-rayed only as I see no reason to do a PennHip as it is obvious
from the xrays that the hips are beyond salvage thru surgery.  However, an
incidental finding was a transitional L7 vertabrae.  Dogs with transitional
vertabrae at the lumbosacral junction are predisposed to cauda equina
symptomatology later in life.  This is a genetic condition and the breeder
should be notified immediately."  (He laughingly suggested setting up a
trust fund for possible hip replacement surgery in the next few years.
I don't mean to alarm you but I thought you should have this info just in
case we are related.
Gayle
Cardiff By the Sea, CA