----- Original Message -----
From: "Valerie Young" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> It is hard for me to relate to those who are looking for "show quality"
> puppies and want their money back or want to return the dog if they don't
> turn out to be perfect specimens.  I CAN see if they paid a premium that
> there is room for negotiation.  But I still can't see looking at a dog
only
> for their potential in the ring (and as breeding stock).  Aren't they ALL
> worthy of our love and the best life we can provide?

OK . . . I am not a dog breeder or dog show person, nor do I play one on TV.
But I will take a stab at this, since I have, can, do and will again breed
my horses (similar issues, more expensive).

Let's say you are trying to get your breeding program off the ground. You
want and need a certain quality dog in order to do this. You also have a
limit to your funds, space, time, etc. Having a stack of pet quality dogs
pile up while you try for the pup who turns into your foundation bitch might
be unreachable. You need to either reduce your goals, or rehome the dogs
which are not going to work out into wonderful, high quality homes which
only want a lovely pet.

My big gelding, Bard, whom I mentioned in a previous post as an OCD sort of
fellow, was from a breeding I picked out and planned. I got zapped with the
OCD; no history on mother or father's side (I know more than 50 of his 1/2
the race track, a rare accomplishment). He grew much larger than either
parent, and it was just bad luck. Although he can be a useful horse at a
certain level, that is NOT the level I want to achieve myself--I've already
been there, done that, and have the T-Shirt. I can't afford a ton of horses
hanging out here, so, he is out on lease. If the perfect home comes along, I
will likely sell him, although as long as he is earning his keep and being
useful to someone I am content to leave things as they are now. Do I miss
him? You bet. Am I making the best choice for both of us? You bet.  By the
way, if anyone is bored and wants to see what I am more of an expert at than
the dogs, feel free to look at "Moonlight's Competition Page" and "Belle's
Competition Page"  on my website; URL is in my signature line, just scroll
down to the Horse Pages boxes. The white rolltop jump in the top photo with
Moonlight is a max height, close to max width jump for my new level--I am
starting to know we are jumping a fence these days!
Eileen Morgan
The Mare's Nest
http://www.enter.net/~edlehman

---