Hi All,

I just got a very discouraging e-mail from a PPO who met me at a dog show last March.
Because I didn't have a litter planned for another year, I provided her with as much
educational material as I could and continued to stay in touch with her during her
search for that "ideal" puppy, answering any questions she had along the way.  She was
a very good learner, asked excellent questions and when she found a breeder she felt
comfortable with, asked me to take a look at the pedigree of the pups-to-be.  As it
turned out, the father of this litter went back on my girl Magic's lines so I had
plenty of information on orthopedics, health issues and longevity.  The dams side was
a little less known to me but by using Bener-Garde I was able to atleast get the
orthopedic info that I could provide her with.

The dam's hips were Fair and the sire's Good.  The dam's littermates and siblings that
were in Berner-Garde all had Good hips as did her mother and father.  I pointed out
the fair hips but also qualified it with the related orthopedics.  Orthopedics back on
the Father's side looked good with the exception of the great grandfather (puppies
great-great grandfather) who was mildly dysplastic.  Although I didn't know the other
individual dogs in the dam's pedigree, they all came from breeders I knew and
respected.  I told the PPO, if I was ready for a puppy at the time that litter was
whelped, I would be interested in one from this litter.  She went ahead and got her
precious puppy.

Her puppy has just been diagnosed with bilateral hip displasia and grade 2-3 patella
luxations at 7 months old.

It's disheartening for me to have tried to help someone, educate them into making the
best decision possible when purchasing a puppy and then have something like this
happen.  I imagine she feels the same way.  She did everything right, but still ended
up with a puppy with inheritable health problems.  She has been in touch with her
breeder who is devastated by this news and they are working together to try and
determine which line this may have come down.  I don't really see any fault here.
Everyone involved did the very best they could, and still these things DO happen.

The plus that comes out of this story is that I think our educational efforts are
working.  This particular PPO did do "her homework".  I had another PPO, when I told
her about a puppy needing rehoming, asked the BEST questions (i.e. if the breeder is
suppose to be "reputable", why isn't he/she taking the puppy back)!  We have some
failures, but all of our diligence, hopefully helps the majority.  Keep up the good
work!

Karen Thoubboron
Maibock Kennel
Pittsfield, MA