Passing this along in plain text for Helen:

>>In NJ -- 18 month, male, neutered, bred by Grace Bloemart in Alberta,
Canada.
>>Owner has an older Golden and a fenced yard and has done all she can
to civilize this dog.  He is VERY hyper -- destroys everything; chewed
his way out of a metal crate, digs holes under fence to try to get out,
refuses to housebreak (goes out, comes in, poops on rug).  Vet's best
advice is that he'll calm down when he is older.  Ho, ho.

Without seeing the dog in person, one can only speculate...so here
goes...
The behaviors described above appear to be manifestations of classic
Separation Anxiety, Frustration, lack of proper housetraining, and
attention seeking behaviors to boot.   I question just how much time the
owners actually put into this fella in terms of actual training.  More
in particular, housetraining. Was he ever properly potty trained and
rewarded for eliminating in the right plae?  Just letting the dog out
does not guarantee he knows what to do there, other than sniff the world
around him.  Then, when he comes in, bang, he remembers he has to pee
and poop.  Did they hope the BMD would cue off the older GR's house
manners?  Grrrr!  He definitely appears to be suffering from some form
of anxiety...What is going on IN the house with the owners?  Has he been
physically corrected making him nervous and fearful?   Ah...so many,
many
questions that need answers:

How old was dog when acquired?
What age was it neutered?
Is he displaying any type of aggressive behavior?
Has the dog ever received formal obedience?
Has the dog been properly housetrained
What kind of exercise does the dog get aside from being in yard with GR
Is the dog left outside for an inordinant amount of time?
What is the owner's schedule?  Are they home or away most of the day?
Have they *always* had this out of control behavior or is it escalating?

Has the vet suggested pharmaceutical intervention? (anti-anxiety to help
calm the dog so that he will be more receptive to behavior modification)

Just off the bat, this dog has to be taken back to square one with a
person who is kind, gentle but quite firm.  They have to immediately
implement a program of deference.. N.I.L.F. He must defer to the owner
and by doing so, the dog will be given his role in that (or any other's)
family's heirachy.   His not knowing what is expected of him fuels his
anxiety...part of that being he does NOT KNOW what to do and is left to
decide what works for *him*.  This makes any dog anxious...and when they
are anxious, physiological problems arise...such as inappropriate
elimination...fear and anxiety causes the body to *empty* itself (going
back to a wild dog that is threatened will empty its bladder and bowels
to be able to run faster to safety).  Ever find you have to pee more
when you are nervous etc, etc? They must leash this dog and take him out
routinely for potty training, rewarding him when he goes... Definitely
try changing the dog's diet...Barfing often helps tremendously.  Have a
thyroid panel done on the dog...

My first suggestion is to get a work up by the vet...Thyroid in
particular. Then perhaps get some meds or homeopathics into the dog.
Change his diet.   Naturally removing the dog from whatever is
triggering his stress is optimum.

Only good things ~ Helen

Helen Hollander, CPDT
The Educated Pup, LLC
Lawrence,  L. I., NY
Certified Member Association of Pet Dog Trainers
APDT #5888P exp.12/03