Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 03:52:30 -0800 (PST)
From: barb wagner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Rescue Berner -- foster home needed ASAP!
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear Pat,

Hmmmm..... I was going to foster this dog and called
the people last night to go and pick him up.  He
sounded alot like Chance.   So much so, in fact, that
I thought it was just a reprint from when Chance was
available.

To make a very, very long story short.....they are
keeping the dog.  The kids pressured the women into
keeping "their" dog.  Turns out there is some
"aggression" with the Golden, but from talking to her
it seems to be a jealousy issue.   The dog has had
"professional" training..... where you drop the dog
off in the morning and pick it up at night, and the
trainer uses the shock collar method.  Per the owner,
the dog yelps and cries every time it sees the shock
collar.  The husband wants to send the dog back to the
trainer because the "training obviously did not work."

There are alot of issues going on with this dog, and
personally, I am amazed that the dog has not biten
yet!  I did try to offer some ideas, but the woman was
not very receptive.  She had spoken to someone named
Debbie in the morning, and was told (owners version)
that extended walks twice a day would calm him down.

I really think this dog needs the same as Chance does,
lots of love and attention, some training to give him
a fun job/purpose, someone who can be there to keep an
eye on him and housebreak him properly, and a whole
lot of attention/praise for good things and ignoing or
preventing misguided behaviors.

This dog seems to need some hands on attention.  He's
a teenager with lots of mischief hidden in there.
Now, you have a dog who is thinking and creative,
wanting attention and add a shock collar.  h.... :(

At anyrate....... the owner is keeping him.  I can
only hope for the best at this point.  I talked
extensively about training methods with Berners and
the differences in temperament between them and their
Golden, and pretty much begged her not to return to
the same trainer/methods.   I have told Margaret that
I am available to pick him, or any other Berner up at
a moments notice, should the need arise.

Let's keep this little guy in our thoughts.

Barb