Vilma, may I suggest that the person asking you these questions join the ShowBerners list at yahoogroups.com? This list has a lot of wonderful, experienced Berner owners helping us newcomers to the show scene. And these are exactly the kinds of questions we've been asking since the list started a few months ago!

I've only shown in 5 shows so far, but I've learned alot. We're very blessed in this breed with so many people willing to help and share. And as (in my area, anyway) most Berners are owner handled, it's a lot less intimidating to do it yourself than with most other breeds.

I've found one of the less-expensive orange blowers is more than adequate, and they're available through most dog-supply catalogs. I made my own grooming table/dolly for less than half of what a commercial table with wheels would have cost ($35 vs $120) -- and I made it the size and height most convenient for short me and a tall Berner. It's low enough for Major to safely jump on and off, and quickly converts to a dolly to haul all the show crap with. And yes, because I had to swallow my naive "ideals" that a Berner should be shown with natural ear fuzzles, I bought some 32-tooth thinning shears (at a human beauty supply store, cheaper) and have had a couple of people help me learn to (sob!) trim my boy's ears. She'll also need a good pair of regular sissors to trim feet and lower legs. I also recommend an inexpensive rechargeable battery-operated Dremel tool for nails (do weekly to keep the quick back, and keep them short). I found out right away that I needed an ex-pen and a light-weight floor covering, and would love a light-weight cabana crate -- I regret spending $100 on a wire crate (very heavy, and Major finds it too confining).

There's TONS more -- shampoos, conditioners, bodifiers, show collars and leads, brushes, combs, extension cords, water jugs, very heavy-duty sports bra (don't ask) . . . oh my lordy, who knew?!! I also had no idea I'd spend about 10 hours preparing for or cleaning up for just 5 minutes in the ring!

And I think she does need to learn how to do this herself. After all, what's she going to do after having her dog "done" at the professional groomer's and then he goes and leaps in a primordal oozey pond two hours before showtime (another "don't ask")??? And after paying for all this necessary equipment, entry fees, gas, motel, and food -- who the heck can afford to pay a professional groomer every time? I had Major done by a professional groomer for our very first show, who was kind enough to show and explain to me what I needed to do. When she explained how she was going to trim and angle off the end of Major's tail, however, I knew this wasn't going to work!!!

Someone please shut me up or cut off my computer access . . .

Vicky Whitney
Bozeman, Montana

ORIGINAL POST:
I am looking into buying a blower for grooming my dogs at and for dog shows. Basically, I need something portable, but powerful. How many HP do I need? Can anyone recommend a good brand? I have heard I should avoid blowers that blow warm or hot air. True?
I am also interested in getting a grooming table with wheels on it.
Does anyone know if there is a website that offers these for a good price? And of course I was thiking I need thinning shears for my dogs ears and feet. I'm thiking I should buy a good pair. I there a brand someone could recommend?

I guess with the number of shows I would like to attend, it is easier
for me to groom my own dogs than pay someone. The groomer is often too busy to get mine in for an appointment and is at somewhat of a disadvantage because she does so many breeds, and I kow what I want my dogs to look like.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.<<<