When a grant is proposed to the Canine Health Foundation, it is put
through a review process to ensure that it is a reasonable proposal.
Once that hurdle has been cleared, the CHF sends out information about
the grant to each of the clubs that has indicated an interest in that
specific area. The clubs then determine if they wish to fund the project
and support it.

In addition, the CHF determines the level of matching funding that it
will supply to the grant. This is generally in the range of 25 - 50%.
These matching funds come out of the general funds that are donated to
the CHF by a broad range of contributers, dog food companies like Purina
are big contributors, private donations by individuals, and donations by
dog clubs as well.

Heidi Parker, in the laboratory of Dr. Elaine Ostrander at the Fred
Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, is conducting a study of malignant
histiocytosis in Bernese Mountain Dogs. Her team's goal is to find DNA
markers associated with this disease and the actual gene mutations that
cause MH. With our help, her lab could be successful in finding
associated DNA markers within three to four years, and the causative
gene mutations in the next decade. This genetic information would be
available to such companies as VetGgen and Optigen to develop a DNA test
that breeders could use to make more informed breeding decisions in an
effort to reduce the incidence of this disease. In addition, once the
causative gene mutations are found, drug therapies could potentially be
developed by other companies to either prevent the development of or
reduce the severity of the disease in Berners that already carry the
disease genes.

Our donations to the grant that is funding this study will be matched by
the CHF, I was unable to find out if it will be 25 or 50%. (I'll keep
trying!) But either way, that helps to stretch our donations!

I'm just having trouble deciding which painting I plan to win!
http://www.overthefence.com/raffle/CHF/
I guess I'll settle for ... EITHER ONE!

Not a month goes by that I am not contacted by several people who are
desperate for information about histio. I hate those emails - because I
don't have any good news to offer. I try to share as much information as
I can, but ultimately I know that I have to help them understand that
often the only thing to be done is to share every precious minute that
is left.

It is my fondest hope that in my lifetime - I will see inroads made to
either begin to eliminate or at least find ways to treat this disease. I
firmly believe this is an attainable goal.

Pat Long ( & Luther)
Hannibal, malignant histiocytosis, 7/29/88 - 5/23/93
Berwyn PA