Susan's post got me thinking again about something I ponder from time to
time. I have been in berners for almost nine years and am litter # 2 from a
bitch that is five years old -- this is her last litter. It is SO much work
to have a litter of puppies -- well, it is so much work to have a litter and
do it well. I breed for myself and so will likely only have a litter every
couple of years, depending on my current dog training load.

So here is my question -- why would anyone produce litter after litter after
litter? What is the goal of having so many litters? Money???!! Desire to
avoid sleep???!!  How can one follow lots of puppies produced in a short
time frame and have any kind of accurate knowledge about their whereabouts
and their health? Just wondering...

Mary-Ann Bowman
Utah
Emma, Abra, Maize, and the ten-pack