For a long time, I vacillated back and forth about this issue -- Berners
and media exposure (much like I did about quality breeders advertising
their litters via newspaper and/or internet). I have thought long and
hard about both sides, and it has not been easy for me to decide how I
feel about it, but I have.

I don't think we can prevent Berners from being in the media, and I
don't think we should try. Why? Because they have already been
"discovered" and the media types -- just like impatient PPOs -- are
going to get them one way or another. If not from responsible owners,
then guess who will be lining up to take the cash for the photo shoots?
A group that I would imagine would be made up of the same kind of folks
who breed dogs for profit. So Puppy Miller X takes his Berner to an ad
shoot, gets paid, and is informed that the ad will show up on pg 43 of
Dog Fancy in 4 months. Guess what else is going to show up on that
two-page spread? A display ad for Puppy Miller X's Berner kennel. Talk
about setting things up for instant gratification - and disaster. I
don't want to see that, if we can avoid it. If the Berners featured in
advertising are from responsible owners or breeders, the chance of that
happening is dramatically reduced.

We all know Berners are beautiful dogs. They are eye-catching. That's
what advertising is all about, and we can't change that. Berners are,
and will continue to be, in demand. And, just maybe, with time, if
Berners are allowed to be visible, their "novelty" will wear off. And
that IS a "good thing."

I hate to sound cynical, but I'm trying to be pragmatic. Honestly, do
you think that there is anything the Dalmatian people could've done to
prevent 101 Dalmatians? Nope. Commerce is a mighty, mighty force. If
Disney (or anyone) wants to make a movie about Berners someday, we can't
stop it. We can hope to high heaven that never happens. But if it does,
I think the Berner community as a whole is ill-prepared to deal with it.
I believe we're naïve to think we can keep these dogs "under the radar"
and never have to deal with that problem. I believe we should be
assuming that it is just a matter of time until something like 101
Berners happens, and should be preparing for that now. I think the best
we can do is keep upping our efforts on all fronts, always be open to
new ideas, and try everything that just might work in some small way.
There is no silver bullet. We have to be creative, dedicated and never
give up. Continue and enhance educational and legislative efforts.
Endless outreach -- both planned and in everyday contact. Whatever we
can to "get the message out" about responsible ownership and acquisition
of dogs. But we can't make people not notice Berners, and I think we
will shoot ourselves in our collective feet if we try.

Berners are already popular, and that's consistently increasing. I
believe we have to be proactive to save the breed from disaster. I think
it's dangerous to think we can hide them and that will prevent problems.
It's too late for that. Why not attempt to manage the media demand,
instead of let those less responsible fill it?

Just my several cents,
Julia
Lily & Max
Astoria, OR