In a message dated 11/22/2002 10:33:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> This is just really more for my education and trying to make sure I have
>  been reading the HD/ED on the pedigrees correctly.  I think I have, but
>  somehow when I saw "Normal" I realized maybe I missed something.

For dogs in the US you should see either an OFA or a GDC *number* for hips
and elbows....which you can verify online.

Just putting "hips-normal or "elbows-normal" on the pedigree doesn't cut it
in my book...show me the certification number <g>.

Likewise for European and Canadian dogs, there should be either a number or a
specific grade.  As Mary said, the grading systems vary from one country to
another and they have changed over time.  You'll find a 'converter' on the
OFA website: www.offa.org

>  For the benefit of some of the PPOs out there...what are your
>  recommendations to watch out for in terms of looking at HD/Ed on a
pedigree.

Personally, my first concern is that the dogs HAVE been evaluated.  For a
puppy born now, I'd expect pretty much all the dogs on a 4 generation
pedigree to have been evaluated for BOTH hips & elbows.  They may not all
have passed on both, but I want to know that the breeders behind the dogs in
the pedigree have been doing their 'due diligence'.

If I look at a pedigree and see few elbow numbers, that tells me that either
the dogs didn't clear elbows OR the breeders didn't bother to check them.
Either way, I'd not be inclined to buy a puppy from that litter, nor to stand
my dog for that bitch.

Also, breeders should have started routine CERF exams of their breeding dogs
in 1998.  A generation in dogs is pretty much 2 years so when I look at the
parents and grandparents of the puppy, I want to see CERF numbers.

Raising the bar:
Also look for an OFA Cardiac number and an OFA or VetGen vWD number.  When
you see dogs in the pedigree with a complete 'portfolio' like this (hips,
elbows, eyes, heart, & vWD) it gives you an indication that the owner of that
dog is doing everything they can do today in terms of screening their dog or
bitch for the presence of hereditary disease.

(Note that the fact a disease isn't present, doesn't mean the dog doesn't
carry the gene for it.  But it's one critical step in evaluating the
dog/bitch for breeding purposes...if you don't go looking for these things,
you may not know your dog is affected and therefore more likely to pass it on
to his/her offspring.)

Next, look for AKC DNA Profile numbers on the sire and dam of the litter.
This indicates that a genetic 'fingerprint' of the parents is on file with
the AKC so parentage of the puppy can be verified with 99.9% surity.

Think that doesn't matter to you if you're looking for 'just-a-pet'?  Think
again <g>, all those hip & elbow certifications are MEANINGLESS unless ALL
the dogs on the pedigree are really the ones that produced your puppy.
Without DNA profiles, the only thing establishing who the sire and dam of the
litter are is the breeder's signature on a piece of paper.

The AKC automatically cross-checks for parentage every time a DNA Profile is
submitted so doing it on our breeding dogs is making the statement that the
parents are who the breeder says they are, they can prove it, and they've
started the process that will lead to generations of certifiable parentage.

>    If there is in a pedigree, 1 dog with HD - Moderate and all other HD
Good
>  and Fair, should they discount that dog because of the HD Moderate in the
>  pedigree?  Should they look for pedigrees with all Excellent, Fair, and
>  Good?  Since the risk really is with the PPO who is looking for a puppy,
>  what would you caution them against?  My hunch is to say, in the US, HD
>  Excellent, Good, and in Europe HD A and B.  And of course Elbows clear in
>  the US and ED 0/0 in Europe.

This is hard to pinpoint...each of us has different priorities and tolerance
for different risks.  The age of the dogs in the pedigree also comes into
play as both the extent of screening and the credibility of breeding mildly
affected dogs changes over time.

For example... when hip screening was first implemented, BMDs had an
astronomical affected rate.  If you eliminated from breeding every dog that
didn't clear hips...either the breed would be extinct or you wouldn't
recognize it.  Selection decisions must be made within the context of the
gene pool, not in a vacuum.

Elbow screening has only been available since 1989-1990 and we still have a
very high affected rate.  So, some very credible breeders will breed a bitch
who has a Grade 1 elbow.  If they do, it should be with extensive research
into the stud for elbow production and family history...and, the implication
of that ED should be discussed with PPOs.

I personally would not rule out a puppy because a couple of ancestors on a 4
gen.pedigree didn't clear elbows or one didn't clear hips.

I would NOT buy a puppy with a pedigree showing nothing but hip numbers (no
elbows) or with something fudgey like "Hips-normal".

And lastly...I can't emphasize strongly enough that it's important to look at
'breadth' in a pedigree...not just depth.  Look for clearances in the pup's
half sibs, aunts, uncles, etc.  The Berner Garde pedigree database is a good
tool for this: www.bernergarde.org

-Sherri Venditti