Mike --
Has the vet ruled out physical causes? Have you consulted a
trainer/behaviouralist? Have you spoken to the breeder about possible causes
and/or solutions?

We had a intact male who became assertive with me (female) but was fine with
my husband. (I think it's an "alpha dog"/"pecking order" thing - he thought
I was further down the order than he was). He would growl at me if I asked
him to do something he didn't want to do - especially if it was something
(like attaching the leash when we were outside) that involved touching him.

We worked on him having to obey me if he was going to get ANYTHING. I fed
him only after he obeyed my commands for SIT or DOWN or whatever I decided.
He got treats ONLY from me until he learned that he had to obey me and defer
to me in order to get what he wanted. He did improve with time - it just
took a lot of patience and work (it's worth it). Maybe this would work for
you guys also.

I hate to see dogs being rehomed - especially since BMDs get so attached to
their people; it's as tough on them as it is on the people who have to give
them up.

Maybe some others on this List can point you in the right direction for
problem resolution with therapy or training.

Liz Steinweg & The Crew
Blue Moon's Baloo Berry Torte "Baloo" - our rescue Berner-boy!
Bobby Sox (husky-x), Figaro (20+ lb Forest Cat)
Rio & Sahara (the "Rat Cats")
and in loving memory of my 1st BMD - Toby (6/29/97 - 6/30/00)
Colorado Springs CO

http://www.csbservices.com/personal/personal.htm