Hi,

I live in France and feed Kobi (3/4 Berner, 1/4
Appenzeller) BARF food for the most part, but when we
travel for more than a day we have found a very good
organic dog food called Yarrahs that we give him
(chicken chunk flavor). This we get from the local
health food store, as I can't find it in the normal
hyper markets. But there are many brands of food to
choose from here - some only sold in pet shops, others
sold at the grocery store, just like in the US and
about as varying in quality from what I can gather
from the labels. I haven't researched most of them for
quality, as I decided to go with BARF before I ever
got the puppy.

Switching him back and forth from Yarrah's organic to
BARF results in NO issues with is digestion or stool
(he is 6 months now and we have done this several
times while on weekend trips or overnight hikes) which
I think says good things about the quality of
Yarrah's. I am am American living here, so not sure if
that makes a difference about my attitudes towards dog
food. We do explain our ideas/reasons to anyone who
asks about what we feed. So far we've managed to
explain this in French, German and English to various
people who stop us on the street to ask about our dog.
We have also learned to tell people he's a
Bernese/Appenzeller cross in 4 languages now! (He was
quite a popular and handsome pup last summer during
high tourist season here, and we could barely walk
down the main street without getting stopped at least
2-3 times per walk!)

We get chicken wings/necks from the butcher every 10
days-2 weeks, which we order in 5-6 kilo boxes, as
well as cartons of kidneys, livers etc.. When we add
it up, it's still cheaper than feeding all canned
food, but not cheaper than the cheapest kibbles.

We do find that the parts of animals that might be
cheaper in the USA are not always cheaper here, since
many specialty French dishes are made with liver and
kidneys, so the price of them is not very cheap! I am
also able to find Kelp and Dulse powder, spirulina and
various herbs or other nutritional add-ons like
Brewer's Yeast mentioned by people on the 'L' - here,
not sure how many people in France use this for their
dogs, but I definitely do add it in every few days.
And he gets yogurt every day. I have this personal
theory that big boned dogs that came from dairy farms
should get milk products for added calcium if they
tolerate/like it and Kobi thrives on his daily organic
yogurt.

Most people who are dog-owner friends of mine here
seem to feed kibble or even pasta or canned food as
well as left-over people food but our vet was well
aware of what she calls cuisine de maison (home
cooking) so I know it is done.

When we got our pup from the dairy farm in Switzerland
at 8 1/2 weeks old, the family we got Kobi from had
him on their version of 'home food' for a puppy as
well - which consisted of oatmeal, cheese bits, milk
and mashed up leftovers. His first 'mom' was very
happy to know that we planned to continue to feed him
'people' food. The vet here in France also thought it
was a good thing to feed 'cuisine de maison' but
thought it was a tad odd that we fed it all to him
raw, but found no particular reason to object to that.
She only warned us about giving him raw eggs too
young, but otherwise thought it was a good thing to
feed him 'people food' as it was better quality.

She definitely warned us that when he got older he
would eat a lot, and that we should not go back on our
decision about this just to save costs because it
would not be good for his system to switch. No chance
of that! He is in good health with no problems of any
kind so far (knock wood), and his coat shines and is
now getting super super curly and thicker and longer
and he is just full of energy and out-hikes and runs
both myself and my husband daily!

It's snowing here in Chamonix (skiing opened 2 weeks
ago) and the mountains are all white, and of course
Kobi is loving every minute of his first winter
season.

Another BARFer in the French Alps,

Genyphyr & Kobi
Chamonix

For photos of what a Bernese/Appenzeller cross looks
like as growing up see
http://www.geocities.com/genyphyr1/KobiPhotos.html

> ATTACHMENT part 2.6 message/rfc822
> From: "Emma Goodall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: the dog on the mountain in Switzerland
> Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 09:56:56 +0100
>
> Good to see so much positive energy. On our first
> berner and deep in love we
> tell eveyone who asks not to get from our 'breeder'
> (whom we now know has at
> least 12 litters a year, but we didn't know before).
> To only buy from
> someone on the national assoc list, to check for
> health in the past - not
> easy when neither of us speak perfect french, but we
> can do our bit.
> Emma and tatty, France

> ATTACHMENT part 2.11 message/rfc822
> From: "Timothy Forman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: French Dog Food
> Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 15:36:28 +0300

Here in Europe they have some very high quality dog
foods. Certainly there is more variety (or at least it
is easier to find variety), bags of dried veggie
flakes, dried egg flakes, and a wide assortment of
kibbles and canned foods. I'm not sure how wide-spread
BARF is in France, but judging by the looks I get when
I ask my butcher to get&nbsp;bulk quantities of
chicken necks, or natural (unbleached) tripe, I would
say it is still fairly uncommon. Nevertheless, there
are two beautiful Berners who are walking
advertisements for BARF. When people ask me what I
feed&nbsp;my dogs&nbsp;they get a lot more information
than they expected, especially if they are dog owners
themselves

Tim (self-appointed BARF Ambassador to France) Christl
(long-suffering veggie grinder).

and Gandalf , Holly (sleek and shiny examples of solid
nutrition)
Chateau Bernois
Nimes, France