It is very important to remember this fact about the
Bernese in the USA:  This is no longer a rare breed.
I will say it again for emphasis - this is NOT a rare
breed.  So, I just don't understand why people are
paying top dollar for a puppy just because it is a
BMD. I don't understand why people are spending more
than 1000 of their hard-earned dollars, for the
privilege of spending thousands more in vet bills,
just because the puppy is a Bernese Mountain Dog.
Yes, they ARE cute - but so are most puppies.  I could
*sort of* understand it when this breed WAS rare, and
truly in short supply... I could sort of understand
how people would pay the big bucks.  But today - NO
WAY.  This breed is "everywhere," owned by "everyone."
This is no longer a "special" breed in the sense that
when you are on the other end of the lead, you get
alot of attention because people are so surprised to
see a BMD, or don't know what breed it is, whatever.
(not to say this breed is not precious and special to
ME and the many other owners who love their
dogs...just like boxers are dear to their owners, and
yorkies, cocker spaniels, labs, etc. - of course all
dogs are special).

The point I am making is this - Berners are now well
on their way to being out and out "common."  How many
people pay $1500 for a Golden Retriever pup out of
non-champion, untitled parents?????  How many people
pay $1500 for a BMD out of non-champion parents -
sadly, far too many.

That said - WELL-BRED Bernese Mountain Dogs are still
rare and always will be.  In fact, WELL-BRED dogs of
almost every breed, are rare in this country.

My sister has a lovely Golden - a spayed pet - and she
gets noticed quite a bit when she takes her out,
because she is clearly a WELL-BRED dog.  My sister
paid $900 fo her with a s/n contract - a bit more than
the typical BYB price of $300-$600 depending on their
brazeness. Her breeder, like other responsible
breeders, KNOWS the standard and plans breedings with
that in mind.  As a result, Tusker looks nothing like
your "garden variety" golden retriever.  She might as
well be a different breed.  I think we will be seeing
a huge increase in "garden variety" Berners - soon.

For the most part, I agree with Susan that the breed
will "save itself" - although it remains to be seen
whether Berners become the next Golden (which did NOT
save itself - the litters are too large) or the next
Saint (a breed which basically DID save itself).
Saints overall are not in favor at the puppy mills
anymore - not profitable.  I pray every day that
Berners in the puppy mills will not be fertile.

This breed is, generally, not the most fertile - lots
of cystic ovaries, short-cycling bitches, dogs with
sperm abnormalities or low drive.  In addition, many
bitches require c-sections and many pups are "slow
starters" to the point that some die shortly after
birth (very common with inexperienced breeders who
don't have someone more knowledgeable assisting).  If
people weren't so willing to pay $1500+ then this
breed would be a money loser for the commercial
producers.

The sooner the public GETS A CLUE and stops forking
over the money to the numerous shysters selling BMDs
on the internet (like many of the current crop at
sites such as Yahoo), the better the future will look
for this breed.  There are some good breeders who
advertise on the internet - and they often provide
alot of info in their ads to set them apart -
registered names, clearances, titles on the actual
litter parents (none of this "from championship lines"
baloney - yeah, 3 or 4 generations back).  Avoid the
ads that emphasize "in time for Christmas" - that is a
major red flag and very common on the internet at this
time of year.  Sometimes pups do end up being ready
for the new homes at Christmas but a good breeder will
try to counteract the negatives associated with this
timing, rather than capitalize on it as a selling
point.

Finding a Berner pup from a really good, careful,
conscientious breeder is still a challenge.  And of
course, bringing a Berner pup - or ANY pup - into your
family always brings the risk of high vet bills.
Stuff happens - even when the breeder was careful to
plan a breeding with health as a major factor.

The state of the breed has changed dramatically in
just two short, sad years.  Not sure what the next two
will bring.  I am not opposed to "more" being bred...
quantity is not the evil, low quality is... We need
MORE breeders who are truly up to the challenge of
breeding responsibly.

Sharon Montville - Firstrax - Colorado