In a message dated 12/4/2002 9:22:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> We were thinking
>  about getting him a friend.  For this reason, I was wondering if any of you
>  could help me find a reputable breeder in Florida.  We live in Florida and
>  would want to make sure Koc and the puppy get along good before we made any
>  decisions.

Good idea! BUT... <g>

Very few bernese will show aggression towards a baby puppy.  Typically,
they'll either engage it in play or ignore it and give you a look that says
"What the heck is that....?"

IF you're going to have trouble, it will come as the puppy matures and seeks
to establish itself in the pecking order.  If either Koc or the pup is an
easy going sort who doesn't really care what rung of the ladder he's on, no
problem.  Problems can arise when more than one dog (or bitch) wants to be
king of the hill and is willing to fight for it.

MUCH depends on the inate characteristics of the dog and your management, but
there is a sort of risk order, listed here from highest risk to lowest.

(2) intact dogs
or
(2) intact bitches
Note: Many people feel that bitch fights are worse than dog fights and tend
to be more enduring.  Boys may get along just fine, especially in the absence
of a bitch in heat, and may do more posturing than battling if they do get
into it.  Girls can get into an "I hate your guts and want you gone" mode.
Either way, dogs or bitches who don't get along are a nightmare to live with.

(1) intact dog & (1) neutered dog
or
(1) intact bitch & (1) neutered bitch

(2) neutered dogs
or
(2) neutered bitches

(1) dog and (1) bitch
Whether neutered or intact, these are unlikely to dislike each other or
battle for supremacy.  BUT, management is a BIG issue if both are intact.

My "sure" pick for companion animals is:
(1) neutered dog and (1) spayed bitch.
Nice... :-D

Now...we all tend to worry about aggression issues when adding another dog to
our family, but be aware...there is another response not uncommon for Bernese.

Withdrawal...
This is most often seen with "only child" berners, especially if they haven't
been playing with other dogs right along.  They sometimes get themselves in a
snit when a little brother or sister is added to the family.  They'll mope
about, loose their joie de vivre, literally remove themselves to a distant
part of the house and stop participating in family fun.

But fear not <g>!  You CAN overcome this silliness...the key is to recognize
what's happening and take control of the situation, not allow it to continue
or play into it with "poor baby" stuff.

When I realized what was happening with my first Berner upon adding my 2nd
(thankfully, someone had warned me of the possibility!), we started putting
our 3 y.o. on a "stay" when the puppy came into the room.  This stopped her
from getting up and leaving for the farthest reaches of the house as she had
been doing...even in the middle of an ear rub!  Of course we didn't let the
pup drive her crazy since she clearly wasn't going to put the pup in her
place.  I also upped the private, quality time with my "princess", little
stuff like taking her with me when I went to the market etc let her know that
she was "special" without reinforcing poutiness.

Speaking of which...
ANYtime I bring a new puppy into my family, I make a point of doing extra
stuff with the other dogs, without the puppy.    When Simca came home, Kalie
started agility classes.  When Granger came home, Simca started dance lessons
(honest!).

So...to answer your question. (Bet you thought I'd never get around to it!)
<g>
If I was happy with my first berner boy and his breeder, I'd go back to that
person for my second.  I'd ask for a female and I'd describe to the breeder
my dog's interactions with other dogs and with me.  Is he a 'take charge'
sort who always want to be in control and surrounded by "his" possessions?
Or is he happy to let the other dogs at the park take the stick and get off
the couch so you can be comfortable?  When he meets other dogs, doe's he
posture and send the message "I'm the big man around here, don't mess with
me" or does he go all goofy and loose and waggy?  That kind of information
will help a skillful breeder select a puppy who's complimentary to your dog
and reduce the risk of conflict to practically nil.

-Sherri Venditti