Hi Dawn,
Your vet may well have prescribed a controlled dosage for that very reason,
you'd be surprised how many people slop on oil from a jug (ie corn or
veggie oil) without realising the amount is somewhat larger than that
contained in a capsule:-)

 My advice to anyone with continuing problems with skin and coat despite
addressing the winter dry heat we experience in cold climates is to check
for parasites ie worms and then the thyroid levels of their dogs.  Skin and
coat quality are amongst the first to indicate a problem. Full thyroid
panels need to be done in order to assess the dog's functional levels, put
simplistically if the T4 is low and the TSH is high then the body is
struggling to balance. If the T4 is on the low side of normal (most common
in Bernese and other large dogs) and the TSH is within range on the lower
side then that is the functioning level of the individual dog. These
measurements can fluctuate according to the general health of the animal
and a bitch can be typically lower when her heat is due. If a diagnosis is
to be confirmed then a repeat should be done a month later. Any  thyroid
supplementation should be started off with small doses and the dog retested
for T4 to find the right levels. It can cause serious problems if a dog is
over supplemented. Most breeders check the thyroid of their breeding dogs
and I choose to retest my dogs at age five to six when I commence their
annual geriatric panel. I have had two cases where dogs have been normal
all their lives only to encounter problems in late senior years which were
helped by low doses of thyroid supplement.

Rose Tierney