You mentioned cancer as it relates to neutered vs intact dogs and age at
neutering.  I've read conflicting information on this issue and don't have
any solid research handy so don't feel comfortable commenting on that aspect
of the decision.

Note: I've quoted several credible articles and studies, but you should know
that there are conflicting reports on some aspects.  In particular, some
studies arrive at different conclusions for susceptability to obesity,
incontinence, and masculine behaviors such as aggression.  There does,
however, appear to be consistent findings in terms of a longer growth period
for animals neutered prepubertally, consistent findings that the younger the
animalore rapid the recovery, and consistent findings that the surgery itself
is faster and at least as safe, if not more so, for younger vs older animals.

-Sherri Venditti