Could anyone please tell me how to dose and administer Melatonin?

We are taking the boys on vacation with us and we'll spend New Year in a
hotel with fireworks all around us. Rupert couldn't care less about bangs
but Harvey does get really stressed by them and apparently Melatonin takes
the edge of the nervousness. I have tried Rescue Remedy repeatedly without
any success thus I'm pinning my hopes on Melatonin.

Do any of you give it to your dogs and if so, how much, how often and how
long before the scary noises start? And, more importantly, if you have tried
it, were you pleased with the effect? Did it work or not really?

Many thanks!

Michaela, Harvey & Rupert
Devon/UK